Will the court return my Certificate of Marriage?

British Columbia Divorce > Frequently Asked Questions
The court does not ordinarily return the Certificate of Marriage unless it has some special significance. To have the Certificate of Marriage returned your certificate must be irreplaceable and you must have a very good reason for wanting it back (such as for a divorce in another jurisdiction that does not recognize divorce in Canada).

If you think that your situation qualifies for a return of the Certificate of Marriage, you must make the request when the divorce forms for stage 1 are filed.